18 Jul Love Your Age
The concept of ‘ageing gracefully’ means different things to different people. At Artisan Cosmetic and Rejuvenation Clinic, it means looking healthy, feeling confident and loving your age. So are you revelling in your current age? If not, here are a few simple steps you can take today to to love your age, no matter how old you are:
1. HAVE AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE. “Do not regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many”.…it’s a quote we’ve read often, and then forgotten when we look in the mirror, feeling tired and lamenting saggy skin, bags under our eyes, a mottled complexion and deep lines. It’s up to you to take action and feel good about your age. Poor health and a withered appearance are not mandatory aspects of ageing; changing your attitude to growing old – having gratitude for the years of life experience behind you, will help you approach the years ahead with the verve, energy and radiance that comes with a positive attitude.
2. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE PEOPLE. We all age differently, and take different lessons from our diverse life experiences. Some people dwell on the negative, while others live and learn. It’s never too late to distance yourself from people who live in the negative, and nurture existing (as well as cultivate new) friendships that focus on growth, learning and positivity.
3. LOOK FORWARD. Your best years always still ahead of you; and for every phase of life, there is so much yet to look forward to! Create a list of things that you can consiously look forward to. Start short term (organise a dinner party, travel somewhere you’ve never been, join a fundraising campaign, begin a project around the home) and build up to longer term plans.
4. LIVE IN THE MOMENT. It’s easy to fall into the trap of wishing your life away. “It will be so good to finish school,” then “I can’t wait to finish university”, followed by “I can’t wait to get a new job/promotion” and “I’ll feel happier when I start a family” soon followed by “won’t it be great to have more freedom when the kids move out…” While it’s great to have aspirations and plans, don’t let them eclipse the beauty of right now. Take a moment each day to think about the special aspects of your life right now.
5. HARNESS THE POWER OF ANTIOXIDANTS. If there is a fountain of youth, it begins within. Antioxidants have a lot to offer the ageing body. Get them in your food (look for those high in vitmains, minerals, chlorophyll and antioxidants) and use a high-quality healthy ageing nutritional supplement (we love Metagenics, Panaxea and DMK’s ranges). They will help your body heal, reduce inflammation, detox and repair on a daily basis. If you don’t have enough nutrient-rich vegetables in your cooking, invest in a juicer and drink up!
6. MOVE. If you’ve ever needed a compelling reason to get active, this it it! Research shows that inactivity is one of the worst things you can do to your body as you age. You don’t have to take up marathon training; try yoga, pilates, dance lessons, swimming or walking. Anything that gets you outdoors, heart pumping and body moving a few times a week is great! We love Best Practice Personal Training and Rafael David Personal Training’s for a personalised approach to fitness, at any age.
7. GIVE BACK. It might be helping out a struggling family member, cooking dinner for a sick neighbour or getting involved in a local charity. Giving your time and effort to others is a great way of nourishing the soul, staying active and maintaining a sense of gratitude. People who connect with their local community live longer, recover from illness quicker and have higher energy levels. You can find a charity to get involved with here.
8. CONNECT WITH NATURE. Get into the garden and plant some vegetables (for all those juices you should be having!), take the dog for a walk in the park, sit under a tree or try a hiking track. It’s not just about fitness, it’s the visceral reaction being amongst nature causes in our bodies. Connecting with your environment is an amazing mood-lifter and revitaliser. Getting out in the sunshine helps regulate our sleeping habits (see below). Just don’t forget the sunscreen!
9. GET SLEEP. Stress, hormonal changes and ageing can throw out our diurnal rhythms, which affect our ability to get restorative sleep. And in turn, cause more stress and accelerated ageing. If you are finding it hard to sleep, or feeling tired when you get up in the morning, see your doctor. There are many causes – and treatments for – sleep problems, and the sooner you treat the problem, the less impact it will have on how you age.
10. LOOK AS OLD AS YOU FEEL. Why chase lines and cover up age spots if you are feeling decrepid on the inside? Getting fit, fabulous and energised on the inside will have a rejuvenative effect on your appearance. But if your skin still doesn’t represent your internal wellness, click here to find the treatments that can help you look as young, happy and fabulous as you feel!